Friday, May 8, 2009

PARIS: Falafel Post #1 - Chez Hannah

I've spent a lot of time eating falafel in the five months I've been in Paris.  I would even go so far as to say I consider myself a falafel connaisseur; an expert, of sorts.  For this reason I felt it necessary to blog about all of my falafel experiences comparatively, bringing light to why I love each falafel individually, and ultimately why I, among many, many others, generally love this culinary manifestation of Middle Eastern cuisine.

Chez Hannah
54 rue des Rosiers (M: St Paul)

Chez Hannah is one of the three falafel stands that line rue des Rosiers in the Marais, unarguably the mecca of falafel in Paris.  I have tried all three stands: 1) the famous L'As du Falafel, the favorite falafel of Lenny Kravitz, 2) Chez Marianne, and 3) Chez Hannah.  They are all excellent, have very similar qualities, but I find myself coming back to Chez Hannah time and time again.  The ratio of ingredients is perfect, definitely more veggies than the others, unctuous fried golden eggplant, the spicy sauce (sauce épicée) is on the monnaie, the falafel is crispy on the outside and soft and creamy in the middle, and the pita is always fresh and never too absorbent of the ingredients it holds.  Chez Hannah does not stand out for one specific reason, but because it is a perfect balance of impeccably prepared, quality ingredients.  AND it's the first stand on the street...an added bonus when you've just had a rough night and you need a lil' goodness to get you through the day.

Falafel Special: 5 

No comments:

Post a Comment