Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Transcendental Evening (A taste of Tuscany)

I am sitting in my kitchen in Ithaca, NY, yet I am somehow transported to a grandma's Rustic kitchen somewhere amidst the countryside outside of Florence. In front of me sits a sizeable block of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese- get this- from Parma. A bowl of spaghetti carbonara fills the kitchen with the aroma of smoky bacon, nutty parmigiano, and fresh cooked De Cecco spaghetti. Completing the plateau of divinity that is our kitchen table are five bottles of Italian wine straight from the vineyards of Valpolicella, Tuscany, and Trentino. No, I am not in Ithaca anymore, nor am I in Italy, I am simply...
IN HEAVEN.


The secret to spaghetti carbonara...red wine in the pasta water!
Imparting a red wine flavor to the Barilla thick spaghetti
6 whole eggs beat with grated parmigiano and a generous grinding of black pepper
2001 Corte Giara Amarone della Valpolicella, made from Corvina grapes
Think full bodied red, think raisins and mediterranean fruits...mmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment