Wednesday, June 3, 2009

LOS ANGELES: Canelé

3219 Glendale Blvd
(Atwater Village)

Recently, I have found myself without expendable income to indulge in a certain echelon of LA dining experiences.  Yes, I am without a job.  Want to hire me??  Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised when, last night, my generous and thoughtful brother took me out to dinner at Canelé in Atwater Village.
The restaurant space itself is tres chic, with exposed hanging lights, elegant light wood tables, a big chalkboard menu, and the sweetest exposed kitchen I have ever seen, running almost the entire length of the restaurant.
Pork liver terrine served with pickled onions and green peppers, dijon mustard
Dandelion greens with capers, parsley, garlic, croutons, and sherry vinaigrette
Duck confit with wilted spinach, roasted mushrooms, and cherries
Herb-roasted leg of lamb with stuffed tomatoes, roasted potatoes, and olives

We started with a pork liver terrine that was rather, well, "liver-y", but delicious when paired with pickled onions, peppers, parsley, and dijon mustard. We also shared a dandelion salad, dressed in a sherry vinaigrette that was sooo right on the money. The vinaigrette, as well as the croutons and celery paired with the bitter dandelion greens really made this salad vibrant. I ordered the duck confit as a main. I'm ashamed to admit this, but I liked this version of duck confit more than any I had eaten in Paris. The duck was of superb quality, and the cherry reduction chilling at the bottom of the plate, when seeped up with the tender shredded morsels of duck leg, was divine. My brothers lamb was delish, if not slightly under seasoned. The potatoes that came with the dish were cooked to perfection, tossed with garlic, parseley, and olives. A killer side! Owner Corina Weibel knows what she's doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment