Tuesday, October 6, 2009

ITHACA: Market Report

Oh, I have been to open air markets. I have been to them by the Pacific Ocean in Santa Monica, where chefs like Alain Giraud (former chef at Bastide), Suzanne Tracht (of Jar), and Suzanne Goin (Lucques/A.O.C.) all peruse California's glorious bounty. I have been to Richard Lenoir market in the Bastide, Paris' biggest outdoor market, where I leisurely walked past the poulet roti, pate, foie gras, saucisson, fresh chevre, and stalls brimming with produce fit for gods. And yet, the Ithaca Farmer's Market stands out in my mind as being the most magical of these markets and, more importantly, the most welcoming. So Los Angeles and Paris are sprawling urban centers of culture, art, and architecture. Well, what is Ithaca's unique selling point? This is FARM COUNTRY. And where there are farms, there are farmers, who care about what they're doing and bring their goods each weekend to the microcosm of happiness, beauty, good food, and good feeling that is the Ithaca Farmer's Market.
GOURDZ
A rainbow of sweet peppers
And to think, I've never seen fresh Quince apart from in a paste beside my cheese
Fall's Finest
Solaz Breakfast Burritos (I am from CA, and these still rank up there as some of the best I've ever encountered. Whatdya know, the owner's from CA as well)
The Piggery may be one of the coolest stands at the IFM. Their farm is located in Trumansburg, where they raise heritage pigs and make alllll kinds of charcuterie out of the oinkers. (Including amazing sausage, bacon, pate, ham, confit)
Every good morning ends with a little ukulele

1 comment:

  1. The Santa Monica Farmers Market needs some pork and lamb vendors like these. Can you tell them to send their reps.

    ReplyDelete