Sunday, December 20, 2009

BRKLYN: Williamsburg

During my visit to NYC, I took the JMZ train across the bridge to the outer borough of BROOKLYN. I was leaving the cramped, faced-paced island of Manhattan in search of hipsters, vintage stores, gentrification mixed with existing Italian, German, Puerto Rican, Dominican, and Jewish culture, and FOOD.  Serious food.  When I had traversed the BRKLYN bridge and arrived in Williamsburg, I shot a lovely picture of the Peter Luger Steakhouse sign from the subway platform [below].  A destination reminder for my next trip to this charmingly self-righteous outer borough.
Old Victorian-looking wallpaper <3
We ordered: Chicken liver mousse accompanied by baked apples, pickled onions, and toast
Staci ordered a green tea to help her soar throat (a result of all that partying in Manhattan)
I, on the other hand, ordered an Allagash White (Belgian wheat) beer.  Our water came in a very charming green glass bottle.
Fette Sau: Unfortunately, we were too full/pressed for time to grab some barbeque down the street at Fette Sau.  I hear GREAT things about this Brooklyn barbeque joint.  First off, the name means "Fat Pig" in German.  Secondly, the tables are of the wooden picnic variety and the beer taps are KNIVES (Yeah, I said it, knives.  That is unfathomably cool.)  If that wasn't enough, they have a gas-and-wood-fired smoker to slow cook their rotating menu of pork and beef ribs and shoulders, pigs' tails, flank steak, leg of lamb, pork belly, and pastrami, all sold by weight and served on butcher paper.  AND the drink menu is North American whiskey and Bourbon heavy, with a smattering of (mostly local) beers on tap.  YUM, I AM COMING BACK.

Thank you, Brooklyn, for being a burgeoning Metropolis with boundless culinary wonders.

No comments:

Post a Comment