Tuesday, January 5, 2010

San Gabriel Valley: Pho Minh

So there are some dishes that, when done correctly, can really move you. I'm not talking about some Michelin 3 star, sous vide, foamed and frothed, dried and rehydrated, gold-embellished masterpiece. I'm talking about comfort food, I'm talking about classics, and right now I'm talking about pho.

I love pho, or "fuh", if you wanna get phonetic. The very simplicity and unassumingness of this North Vietnam-style beef noodle soup is the quality that enables it to be elevated to such gastronomical heights. At Pho Minh in the San Gabriel Valley, the broth is delicate and oh so aromatic, with slight beefy undertones that give it richness and character. The noodles are perfectly soft while retaining some bite. It still remains a mystery to me whether the optional accompanying basil, lime, and fresh sliced chiles enhance or detract from the absolute perfection that is the broth at Pho Minh. Go try it and tell me your thoughts, if it hasn't left you speechless.
Basil, lime, chili, and bean sprout accoutrements
pho bac
A tender and mouthwatering hunk of steak can be found within the depths of the broth
My brother enjoys pho, because he knows what's up
9646 Garvey Ave #109 South El Monte, CA 91733

No comments:

Post a Comment