Saturday, February 27, 2010

LOS ANGELES: Fried Chicken

As I prepared for my return to Ithaca for my last semester of college, my request for my "Last Supper" at home was FRIED CHICKEN:

We marinaded the chicken breasts, legs, wings, and thighs in buttermilk for 24 hours (to tenderize the meat and impart moisture). We then rubbed the marinaded chicken with salt, pepper, onion powder, cayenne, and paprika, and dredged the chicken in flour...
We used two methods of frying: skillet frying (in a cast iron pan shown on the right) and deep frying (shown on the left). We used lard combined with canola oil to fry in for both methods...
We then put the fried chicken on a rack in a 250 degree oven to let the remaining grease (though there wasn't much) drip off the chicken. The chicken came out crispy, juicy, and delicious...
Golden Fried Success...
More glamour shots...
Since we had the fryer out, we though we might as well make sweet potato fries and regular fries, sprinkled with parsley flakes and sea salt ...
Feeling accomplished due to my family and my chicken frying abilities, I got on a plane headed to Ithaca, potentially a few pounds heavier, and incredibly satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment