Monday, August 16, 2010

NYC Trucks: Wafels & Dinges

The other day while flaneur-ing down South Street Seaport in the financial district, I came across the Wafel & Dinges truck. What a find! I had heard about this truck, with its "liege" waffles and "spekuloos" spread. I must find out about this liege waffle, with its oblong shape and brioche roots and caramelized sugar exterior!, I thought. I also quickly realized I must have my waffle slathered with the Belgian graham cracker-meets-Golden Graham-flavored spread known as Spekuloos. Boy, did I order well.
The truck is decorated with black&white old time photos. Meg looks intrigued. She wants to see more!
What to choose!? What to choooose!?
dinges (a Flemish word) means "things" or "whatchamacallits" or "toppings". Flandria, on the other hand, is an bicycle company completely unrelated to this blog post.
Liege waffle with Spekuloos spread. This spread is like, something you always wanted to exist but never thought did. It is- i'm not kidding- ground up, spiced, shortbread-like cookies made into a spread. It is gooey and salty with hints of caramel and cinnamon. This is serious stuff and if you choose, you can buy it in a jar. But that, my friend, is a serious commitment and I am not liable for any resulting addiction.
Trucks can be found all over the city, click to find out multiple locayshs

1 comment: