Thursday, November 26, 2009

NYC: Quintessential Deli Tour of the Lower East Side (Part II)

From Katz's I ventured down Houston to Russ and Daughters Appetizers (since 1914), to admire their beautiful smoked fish, schmears, and other goodies.  This appetizing shop is on Bourdain's list of "13 Places to Eat Before You Die", so yeah, they're serious.  I will admit that I shamefully misjudged my appetite and could not eat a lox, bagel, and cream cheese after having pastrami at Katz's, but have no fear, I will be back to Russ and Daughters.  Oh yes, I will be back.

RUSS and DAUGHTERS

"Russ & Daughters occupies 
that rare and tiny place on the mountaintop reserved for those 
who are not just the oldest and the last — but also the best."
  
- Anthony Bourdain

179 E. Houston St. (and 1st Ave.)
Man slicing smoked white fish (to put on BAGELZ w cream cheese)
LOXXX (smoked/cured salmon)
Smoked white fish

RAY'S BURGERS (for Egg Cream)

From there I ventured to 7th and St. Mark's Place to get the quintessential NY drink: the egg cream.  An egg cream is a delicious mix of milk and seltzer.  This hole-in-the-wall establishment, with no real sign except one that says "Belgain Fries," was the place to go (the real name is Ray's Burgers).  I opted for a vanilla egg cream, resisting the chocolate that sounded equally delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment