Sunday, November 8, 2009

ITHACA: Sticky Rice

How "off the beaten path" is off the beaten path? If you're talking about Laotian restaurant Sticky Rice, it's behind the Dominos pizza facing the parking lot of the Gateway Plaza development on E. State Street. But when you find it, after some confusion and wrong turns, you know you're at the right place. With only three tables, and several maps of Laos seeming to be the only decoration, one might become put off by this joint. But I feel at home here. The owner takes my order. She tells me that the Nam Khaow is what she eats at home, so I promptly change my order to whatever that is. When I tell her I like spicy food, she offers to put extra chilis to go with the rice and thai laos sausage salad I just ordered. Oh, yes, I'm at home.
Purple and white sticky rice
This place gets lots of foot traffic...except not
Curry Puffs: curried carrots and white potatoes, turmeric, onion, garlic, scallions and cillantro wrapped in puff pastry and fried till golden brown
Nam Khaow: rice and Thai laos sausage salad served with lettuce leaves and xtra chilis!!
Steamed cassia leaf and chicken in a mix of coconut milk and vegetable broth, sticky rice paste and lemon grass.
Sticky rice container, or a fashionable handbag? You decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment