Tuesday, August 4, 2009

LOS ANGELES: The Apple Pan (They got an apple pie there that'll kill ya!)

How did us Westsiders get so lucky? Right across from the oh-so handsome Westside Pavilion shopping mall sits a little hamburger counter open since my grandma was a youngster.  Some say the Hickory burger, slathered with smoky hickory ketchup and Tillamook cheddar cheese, is the best in the city (but then again, they haven't tried my dad's).  The fries are not to be missed, as well as the Apple Pie and sinfully decadent Banana Cream.  From trips with my parents when I was a child, to after school lunches with my high school friends, to "home from college!" Apple Pan fixes... this Westsider is happy to be raised on the greasy spoon burger counter that is The Apple Pan. 
10801 Pico Blvd. (Open since 1942)
I swear these same three guys have been flipping The Apple Pan's signature hickory burgers since I was just a wee bebe
Tuna piled high, with sweet pickles, black olives, and a mountain of lettuce atop rye bread
Well done fries, crispy, golden, and piping hot straight from the fryer
They ran out of their signature apple, so we got pecan a la mode.  Turned out to be a close second

No comments:

Post a Comment